Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Bedazzled - Peter Cook



Groovy 60s paean to nihilism, contrasting exhortations of backing singers with Peter Cook's deadpan protestations: "You fill me with inertia" etc. Sung by Cook in character ("Drimble Wedge & The Vegetations") on the title track of the film. "Of its time" is a kind way of assessing the movie's merits.

This was genuinely an inspiration to punk. When Cook hosted the brilliant TV show Revolver in the late 1970s, he said (according to blogcaa): "I liked the Pistols above all the other stuff. I remember accusing Johnny Rotten, who he then was, of nicking a lot of his vocal style from Buddy Holly ... John Lydon said one of their songs was based almost entirely on that song from Bedazzled where I’m singing ‘I don’t care’ and ‘I’m so plastic’. I don’t know which one, I was too pissed to remember."

No comments: