Thursday, April 17, 2008

Tyrone Davis - Can I Change My Mind



Can I Change My Mind was Tyrone Davis’s finest moment, a life-affirming record. Davis’s heartbreaking vocal reaches the emotional extremes but avoids histrionics – a masterclass in true soul singing. The golden rule: don’t over-emote.

Carl Davis’s warm production was responsible for some terrific Chicago soul in the late 60s, including gems by Young Holt Unlimited, Barbara Acklin but with a loping, jittering guitar line and buoyant brass courtesy of Carl Davis’s house band, Pieces of Peace.

Davis was never cool enough to hit pop paydirt; he was 30 when Can I Change My Mind was released. But he is, to my mind, the finest soul singer bar none.

I first heard Tyrone Davis via an esteemed former colleague at PA, Andy Lemon, who kindly made me a series of treasured compilation tapes (this was the era of cassettes) containing some highlights of his impeccable record collection.

4 comments:

ally. said...

stupid machine is being useless this morning and is too lazy to manage video - is this the can i change my mind alton ellis did ?
i'm looking forward to a good old dig about here when my technology realizes it's nearly the future
x

Jon Dennis said...

Wow, I didn't know that Alton Ellis had covered it. But I would have thought yes, almost certainly the same version

ally. said...

blimey that really is fabulous - how do i not have lots of his records ? he's top of my list now thankyou
x

ally. said...

you'll find the alton version over at my gaff along with another thankyou for introducing me to this gem of a tune.
ta dearie
x