Friday, April 29, 2005

BBC Sessions - Loudon Wainwright III


BBCSessions
Originally uploaded by 50pbloke.
Not that I've ever had a baby in the house but listening to Be Careful, There's a Baby in the House I'm certain it has the ring of truth to it. A ring common to all these brilliant songs.

I haven't written a song for several years now - since Slinky split in 1996 - but listening to this collection, I'm inspired to have another bash. I love his choice of subject matter: it's small stuff, tiny vignettes, lots of humour, honesty, self-depreciation and humanity. Sunday Times is about reading a newspaper. What a great idea. His performances are no-flab, unfussy and lean.

LW3 was another discovery via my trawling through John Peel's archives. It's been growing on me since I got it on eBay recently. I'd only ever heard him on Peel, so I thought this album would be a good place to start.

Unfortunately we missed him when he played in London this week. Here's Adam Sweeting's five-star review in the Guardian. Apparantly LW3 dedicated A Father and a Son to Peel.

1 comment:

datz said...

Hi Jon
Thanks for the comments on 7and7is. You can turn it into an mp3 blog in two ways. Linking to official mp3 files posted on band websites etc or hosting your mp3 files via a third party. I do both using my .Mac acount to host the mp3 files(umm you need a Mac to do this)other hosting sites are available, they all charge.... This is, of course, strictly speaking illegal....But if you only put 1 or 2 files up at a time and remove after a week or so its usually ok!
I saw LW playing support to the Soft Machine in 72? 73? at the Colston Hall in Bristol, very very good!
David